Here’s a list of the top 10 reasons people leave jobs. The survey was conducted by AOL so it’s American biased.
- Inadequate Compensation (57.2%)
Compensation below the market average, or lack of annual increase
- Inadequate Opportunities for Career Advancement (37.3%)
Dangling the ‘carrot’ for too long as a demotivator
- Insufficient Recognition or Appreciation (34.2%)
Cash or gift certificates, or even just a pat on the back, employees lack recognition
- Boredom (20.1%)
When employees just waste their time, or their company’s time.
- Inadequate Benefits (16.9%)
Insufficent basic medical coverage and healthcare program.
- Inadequate Opportunities for Professional Development (15.3%)
People are finding themselves too experienced for any further promotion in their company.
- Insufficient Job Security (11.8%)
Fear of outsourcing, which shows employees lacking confidence in upper management’s ability to save their company.
- Undesirable Impact on Health or Stress Level (10.5%)
Overall health and stress level being affected by hard working long hours.
- Poor Relations with Management (10%)
Incompetent, clueless, overcompensated, abusive, hostile or predatory boss. What fun ! [Surveys in Australia have shown this factor to rate more highly than it does here... suggesting what? Higher expectations, worse bosses?]
- Undesirable Commute (9%)
Gas vs Salary is becoming an issue for more and more.